A few weeks ago I was presented with a very hard to find problem on a crashing Citrix Reciever. The user was presented with an error stating: “Citrix HDX Engine Stopped working”
After assessing the situation this error occurred in the issue was even stranger. The user open the production published desktop from home through a netscaler connection. From that desktop the experienced the problem when connecting to a publish desktop in the test environment. When I tried to replicate the issue in the office I could not replicate the receiver “Citrix HDX engine stopped working message”.
Main difference is that the user is home at presumably a Windows host and I was running a Thin Client. So I tried replicating this from an outside connection and hoorah the issue popped up. I then searched the eventviewer and found the following error:
Faulting application name: WFICA32.EXE, version: 14.4.1000.16, time stamp: 0x571e1d89
Faulting module name: vd3dn.dll, version: 14.4.1000.16, time stamp: 0x571e19a6
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00001021
Faulting process id: 0x57e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2398e3a3dda6d
Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\CITRIX\ICACLI~1\WFICA32.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\CITRIX\ICACLI~1\vd3dn.dll
Report Id: 7a821b57-a581-11e6-8122-bc305bf1fbe8
Faulting package full name:
After identifying the symptoms en having a clear view of the situation I went to Google to search for the error. What I found on “hdx engine stopped working” was lot and the following forum article stood out on the Citrix Support Forum. All the causes and solutions offered in this article were not the solution to my “Citrix HDX Engine Stopped working” error.
Final Solution to HDX engine stopped working
Then there was one course of action left, the always fun task of finding the needle in the haystack. After comparing policy settings, Receiver protocols (great articles by Bram Wolfs HDX) I found the difference; My production desktop was running Citrix VDA 7.6.300 and the test desktop VDA was running 7.8. In theory the VDA’s should be compatible and not cause issues, I did a downgrade of the test desktop VDA anyway. And you might have guessed it this completely solved the issue when connecting to a test desktop from the remote location.
My personal estimate is that there is a incompatibility when using a windows receiver on the endpoint and connecting to a VDA 7.6.300 and than trying to translate the new HDX protocols between the sessions. although I have no real explanation it is obvious that there is a bug here.